Conditional 3-D Secure
Although 3-D Secure is now mandatory for online transactions, SCA regulations allow to skip 3-D Secure altogether in some cases. Checking the requirements for that adds complexity to your integration, especially when you need to weight customer experience and conversion rate against Fraud Prevention.
Therefore, we are happy to offer you the Conditional 3-D Secure feature. It implements this process by automatically:
- Scanning incoming transactions, rolling out or skipping 3-D Secure appropriately.
- Steering the flow to Soft Decline and/or challenge/frictionless flow when applicable.
You can keep sending all your flow to one account, as the Conditional 3-D Secure will automatically filter your transactions which are not eligible for exemptions.
The following are not in scope
- Transactions for payment methods
- For transactions you send with parameter cardPaymentMethodSpecificInput.threeDSecure.challengeIndicator (i.e. for recurring payments)
Based on the overall picture, our platform will automatically skip or roll-out 3-D Secure, steering the overall payment flow accordingly.
Conditional 3-D Secure is available for the following payment methods:
via all integration modes
Understand payment flow
This is a high-level payment flow covering only the mandatory steps. Regardless of the mode you choose, the flow follows some basic steps as described below. Learn in our dedicated guides about the individual differences
Our Conditional 3-D Secure is available for or all our integration modes and blends in seamlessly in the payment flow.
- You send a CreatePayment/CreateHostedCheckout request to our platform, including at least the mandatory 3-D Secure and as many Fraud Prevention properties as possible
- Your Fraud Prevention module calculates the Global Fraud Score and checks whether the transaction is applicable for the Conditional 3-D Secure flow:
a. If any of the criteria is met, the flow continues at 3
b. If not, the flow continues at 4
- We submit the actual financial transaction to the acquirer to process it. We receive the transaction result. The flow continues at 7
- We submit the actual financial transaction to the acquirer with a preference for frictionless flow. If the issuer does not accept the frictionless flow, we will automatically recover the transaction via Soft Decline
- We receive the transaction result
- We redirect your customer to your returnUrl
- You request the transaction result from our platform via GetPayment or receive the result via webhooks
- If the transaction was successful, you can deliver the goods / service
Integrate Conditional 3-D Secure
To use the Conditional 3-D Secure, make sure to fulfil these requirements:
- Contact us to inform us you would like to use the Conditional 3-D Secure. Provide us with a list of PSPIDs so we can configure them accordingly
- Activate either Fraud Expert Scoring or Fraud Expert Checklist, as the Conditional 3-D Secure is part of these modules. Configure it properly and send as many Fraud Prevention properties in your CreateHostedCheckout/CreatePayment request as possible. Contact us to activate and set it up for you
- Make sure your integration complies to SCA by sending at the mandatory parameters for 3-D Secure
Depending on the integration mode, differences apply. Find an example for all in the "Integration" tab for the respective payment. Make sure to add as many Fraud Prevention properties as possible: